I built this mini control board based on MultiWII to stabilize a new quadricopter I’m working on.
This quad will use the common hxt2730 motors (rewound for the propellers it will spin with a 2S LiPo) and will have a V tail tw0 5.5×4.5 counter rotating APC propellers and two gws 8×4 front propellers.
the frame will be made from carbon tubing using kite joints
Here is the electronics: in the bottom from left there is the imu and control board. Over the control board there is a shrunk HobbyKing DSM2 receiver
This is a zoomed version of the previous.(the quartz was been replaced with an smd one, i was waiting for it to arrive)
Here are some updated pictures of the finished quad.
I did some little modification like the bottom plate now attached straight under the arms, and the motors were wound as 10turn Delta instead of Y because the previous configuration had too low maximum thrust. now its perfect.
I decided to change motor/esc and completely review my quad.
The new motor are self wound 2212 motor from Giantcod wired with 10 turn Y delta(y connection revealed too low kv for 10×4.5 or 10×6 and 3s and delta was exaclty the needed configuration) connected 0.45mm wire. It will use 10×4.5 EPP or 10×6 GWS dd propellers. it will use 15-18 SS Esc from Hobbyking.
This quad will be mainly used for fpv and to carry some light compact camera. This will be the airframe to be powered with a future ARM based flight control but now is powered by Multiwii flight control software on an arduino based boad..
Saturday i had an accident with my quad: a motor stopped in mid air turning the quad into some sort of comet that broke in the ground breaking 3 motor mounts and 3 props and slightly bending the frame.
So it was time to transfer all the motors and elctronics to the new frame, i built some days ago just to test my new proxxon drill stand 🙂
This time I made a slightly larger central frame’s plates measuring 100x100mm and switched to a X configuration. The arms are, like I did before, made from 10x10mm aluminum square tube but it’s a little larger than the previous one: motor to motor distance is now 400mm.
Following are some pictures taken in the various building stages, while milling the center frame plates from a 1.5mm thick glass fiber/epoxy plate and while assembling and wiring the arms to the central plates.
After a few crashes with the carbon fiber arms version, i rebuild the quad from scratch using the following components for the frame:
2x 1.5mm Glass fiber 70×70 center plates
Alu arms, 160mm lenght 10x10mm
T-Rex (don’t rememeber which one…) langing gear with 5mm glass fiber extra lenght skids (the original skids died shortly after being installed:) )
Little plastic squared box on top containing cpu board, sensors and receiver. The electronic is dampened using four self made silicone rubber dampeners
The arms are tied together between the two center plates using m3 bolt and screws.
As you can see from the pictures, one of the motor was slightly modded: one of the wires was broken, so i rewound the motor and soldered the tiny wires to a tiny pcb board glued using epoxy to the mounting shaft. The connection are then made from this little pcb board so that there is no possibilities to break again the motor wires.
Yesterday i finished the controller board prototype for the new NanoQuad i’m building.
the board measures 60x18mm (it is a lqfp48 proto board i bought from dipmicro.com)
a max682 to raise the single lipo (4V to 3V) supply to 5V;
4 SI2304 N Mosfet used to power the brushed motors;
In this first phase i’ll control it using a DSM2 compatible Six channel radio from HobbyKing.
The gyro is simply a WiiMotion+ board.
Future versions of the quad will implements:
Bluetooth connection and remote control instead of the DMS2 Radio;
Smaller ITG3200 Gyro board;
The bluetooth radio will connect wirelessy the nanoquad to a controller board that contains an lcd, an atmega8, a bluetooth module and a port for an wii classic controller to be used to drive the quad.
The lcd will make able to change parameters and for a simple “telemetry”.
Here are some pictures (unfortunately i missed the finished controller board alone).
Update 24 March 2011: here is the MultiWii (thanks To Alexinparis ) http://wbb.multiwii.com/index.php software modified to drive directly four mosfet to power brushed motors (be aware, the software was only used to test the setup, never flyed, so use at you own risk.)
I would like to be able to use my quad indoor, so i can practice everytime i want, so i started this project, in parallel to the bigger one.
Today the 4 brushed motors arrived, (Walkera UFO#8 motors, bought from Helipal here) so i started to arrange some test frame. It is simply made by 2 little 3mm carbon rods 140mm motor to motor.
I attached the motor to the arms using some shrink tube. Also the two arms are tied together using two little piece of shrink tube.
Frame and motors do weights 17gr.
As the bigger brother I’ll use a custom board with atmega328, four mosfet (to power the motors) a 3v -> 5v dc/dc converter to be able to power the 328 using the single lipo used for this model.
Now i have to wait for props and lipo from HobbyKing, atmega from an ebay seller and some other electronic components (and also a small smd prototiping board I will use to mount the circuit) from dipmicro..
Mouse is only for size comparison, near there are the DSM2 receiver and WiiMotion plus board.