I have problem with my bigger quad (one esc does weird things raising throttle) so i cannot fly for now.
So It was time (while waiting for my holidays) to finish a mini vtail quad I had in mind for a lot of time.
I is basically built around some 4mm carbon fiber tubing and some kite rubber joints.
I used a 4mm kit and a 6mm kit. The 6mm provied the joint used to hold the four motors while the 4mm was used for the remaining joints used to build the structure.
Here is the base frame composed of carbon tubing and a little glass fiber rectangle.
The rectangle was epox’ed to the tubes after it was tied using some wire. In the rectangle there are four rows of holes used to let the wire passing through it.
Here is better shown how it is tied.
After the base frame was ready I started to put the electronic on it. Here there are two escs, a simple ditribution board and the CopterControl that will power the Vquad.
In this pictures it is almost complete. all the wirings were done and all is ready for testing motors.
Here is another pictures with propellers. all is wired (There is also the Bluetooth module i used to configure the CopterControl and test motors without the need for the usb cable)
Now the last missing piece is the adapter (a simple 3.3V power regulator) needed to attach a Spektrum satellite receiver to the CopterControl. I hope to finish it tomorrow to be able to do some flying tests with the newborn VQuad 😉
I forgot to put the specs of the quad as is now:
Motors: 4 hxt 2730 rewound as 10turns wye for the two in front (with gws 8×4 propellers) and 10turns delta for the two rear motors (with 5.5×4.5 APC propellers)
I built this mini control board based on MultiWII to stabilize a new quadricopter I’m working on.
This quad will use the common hxt2730 motors (rewound for the propellers it will spin with a 2S LiPo) and will have a V tail tw0 5.5×4.5 counter rotating APC propellers and two gws 8×4 front propellers.
the frame will be made from carbon tubing using kite joints
Here is the electronics: in the bottom from left there is the imu and control board. Over the control board there is a shrunk HobbyKing DSM2 receiver
This is a zoomed version of the previous.(the quartz was been replaced with an smd one, i was waiting for it to arrive)
Here are some updated pictures of the finished quad.
I did some little modification like the bottom plate now attached straight under the arms, and the motors were wound as 10turn Delta instead of Y because the previous configuration had too low maximum thrust. now its perfect.
I decided to change motor/esc and completely review my quad.
The new motor are self wound 2212 motor from Giantcod wired with 10 turn Y delta(y connection revealed too low kv for 10×4.5 or 10×6 and 3s and delta was exaclty the needed configuration) connected 0.45mm wire. It will use 10×4.5 EPP or 10×6 GWS dd propellers. it will use 15-18 SS Esc from Hobbyking.
This quad will be mainly used for fpv and to carry some light compact camera. This will be the airframe to be powered with a future ARM based flight control but now is powered by Multiwii flight control software on an arduino based boad..
Saturday i had an accident with my quad: a motor stopped in mid air turning the quad into some sort of comet that broke in the ground breaking 3 motor mounts and 3 props and slightly bending the frame.
So it was time to transfer all the motors and elctronics to the new frame, i built some days ago just to test my new proxxon drill stand 🙂
This time I made a slightly larger central frame’s plates measuring 100x100mm and switched to a X configuration. The arms are, like I did before, made from 10x10mm aluminum square tube but it’s a little larger than the previous one: motor to motor distance is now 400mm.
Following are some pictures taken in the various building stages, while milling the center frame plates from a 1.5mm thick glass fiber/epoxy plate and while assembling and wiring the arms to the central plates.
After a few crashes with the carbon fiber arms version, i rebuild the quad from scratch using the following components for the frame:
2x 1.5mm Glass fiber 70×70 center plates
Alu arms, 160mm lenght 10x10mm
T-Rex (don’t rememeber which one…) langing gear with 5mm glass fiber extra lenght skids (the original skids died shortly after being installed:) )
Little plastic squared box on top containing cpu board, sensors and receiver. The electronic is dampened using four self made silicone rubber dampeners
The arms are tied together between the two center plates using m3 bolt and screws.
As you can see from the pictures, one of the motor was slightly modded: one of the wires was broken, so i rewound the motor and soldered the tiny wires to a tiny pcb board glued using epoxy to the mounting shaft. The connection are then made from this little pcb board so that there is no possibilities to break again the motor wires.