After a huge amount of crashes with my mini swift, i eventually decided to rebuild it creating an hatch in the top where I can put a CopterControl and, in a near future, GPS and PipXtreme on it.
The little thingy is not really light as I put a hxt 2730 motor (25gr motor only) with a 2S 1000mAh LiPo. The total AUW is around 225gr.
Here is a new case for the upcoming Revolution board from the awesome OpenPilot project.
The case is built by two shells 5mm thick made by polystyrene glass.
It is milled with 3mm two flute endmill at 900mm/min feeding rate and 1.5-2mm depth. You also need to cool down the mill from time to time to prevent the polystyrene from melting. Just spray some water on the mill while it’s cutting.
I have problem with my bigger quad (one esc does weird things raising throttle) so i cannot fly for now.
So It was time (while waiting for my holidays) to finish a mini vtail quad I had in mind for a lot of time.
I is basically built around some 4mm carbon fiber tubing and some kite rubber joints.
I used a 4mm kit and a 6mm kit. The 6mm provied the joint used to hold the four motors while the 4mm was used for the remaining joints used to build the structure.
Here is the base frame composed of carbon tubing and a little glass fiber rectangle.
The rectangle was epox’ed to the tubes after it was tied using some wire. In the rectangle there are four rows of holes used to let the wire passing through it.
Here is better shown how it is tied.
After the base frame was ready I started to put the electronic on it. Here there are two escs, a simple ditribution board and the CopterControl that will power the Vquad.
In this pictures it is almost complete. all the wirings were done and all is ready for testing motors.
Here is another pictures with propellers. all is wired (There is also the Bluetooth module i used to configure the CopterControl and test motors without the need for the usb cable)
Now the last missing piece is the adapter (a simple 3.3V power regulator) needed to attach a Spektrum satellite receiver to the CopterControl. I hope to finish it tomorrow to be able to do some flying tests with the newborn VQuad 😉
I forgot to put the specs of the quad as is now:
Motors: 4 hxt 2730 rewound as 10turns wye for the two in front (with gws 8×4 propellers) and 10turns delta for the two rear motors (with 5.5×4.5 APC propellers)
Saturday i had an accident with my quad: a motor stopped in mid air turning the quad into some sort of comet that broke in the ground breaking 3 motor mounts and 3 props and slightly bending the frame.
So it was time to transfer all the motors and elctronics to the new frame, i built some days ago just to test my new proxxon drill stand 🙂
This time I made a slightly larger central frame’s plates measuring 100x100mm and switched to a X configuration. The arms are, like I did before, made from 10x10mm aluminum square tube but it’s a little larger than the previous one: motor to motor distance is now 400mm.
Following are some pictures taken in the various building stages, while milling the center frame plates from a 1.5mm thick glass fiber/epoxy plate and while assembling and wiring the arms to the central plates.